Monday, June 8, 2020

Just Writing Stuff

So sad when you go back to an old bit of writing expecting it'll have most of the chapter you want to write already done but it turns out really well written but telling the completely wrong story. The momentum and the stakes in the conflict is wrong, the characters' relationships are wrong, the setting is wrong, some character decisions don't even make sense with what they were doing at the time, you've got to delete half of it before you can start and half of what you keep you just have to hope doesn't sound totally off and Frankensteined together but it's just so well written you can't stand to cut it.

PS. Black lives matter. I try to do what I do well for the cause - write - and I hope the absence of a direct commentary on current events doesn't trick anyone into thinking I support the way things are. I try, in between yelling at racists on Twitter anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment