Thursday, April 13, 2017

Prisoner's litany

You can take everything from me
which you can take from me
because I cannot stop you.
You can do what you want to me
which I cannot keep you from doing
because I cannot keep you from it.
You can make me do what you want
which you can make me
because I cannot prevent you.
You have exactly as much as you can take
and nothing else.
You have nothing I can give
and you may have nothing.
You may not have my soul.
You may not have my heart.
You may not have my mind.
You may not have my respect.
You may not have my guilt.
You may not have my love.
You may not have my hate.
You may not have my hope.
You may not have my fear.
You may not have my concern.
You can hurt me
but you cannot make me care.
You can kill me
but you cannot save me.
You can lock me in
but you cannot make me want to stay.
If you want anything of me
you will not have it.
I am not yours.
I am free.

No comments:

Post a Comment